Attachment Interventions, Behavioral Management and Treatment, Child Mental Health - externalizing, Child Mental, Family Functioning, Family Support and Placement Stabilization Programs, Marriage and Relationship Support, Parenting Skills - Training and Enhancement, Social/emotional functioning, Social competence/prosocial behaviors, Conflict management, Problem solving, Coping-stress management, Decision making and self-esteem, Trauma Treatment
What: The Beyond Consequences Program is a Family Systems model that focuses on moving families from surviving to thriving. It is a healing model, not a behavioral model and it is based on 5 main principles: Development, Relationships, Stress and Regulation, Environment and Belief systems. How:
Beyond Consequences offers educational materials, training programs and valuable resources for parents, professionals and teachers working with trauma-impacted children by using positive parenting techniques. Services are provided online or through phone or in-person coaching in the home or classroom setting.
Intervention Target Population Identified (Age Group)
0-5, 6-12, 13-17, >17, Parent/Adult
1. Help the child regain areas of his/her development that are lacking through developmental re-tracking.
2. Equip the family system to be the curative agent for the child’s healing process so that healing happens in the home environment within the context of the parent/child relationship.
3. Reduce the stress in the child’s life to ensure the child is working within the stress level most optimal to the child’s nervous system.
4. Allow past traumatic experiences and the stored up survival energy from the trauma to be dissipated with the support of the parents interactions in everyday life.
5. Build the child’s window of stress tolerance to equip the child to function appropriately outside of the home environment.
6. Equip parents with love-‐based parenting techniques that de-‐escalate negative behaviors through boundaries, regulation, and emotionally safe interactions.
7. Empower parents to understand their own reactivity when raising a child who resonates at a high level of stress and overwhelm.
8. Help parents identify associational connections to their own childhoods that may be triggering them.
9. Create a healing environment in the home for the child to learn the importance of the family structure and to have positive, patterned, and successful experiences within a family system.
10. Re-‐build the child’s belief system that the world is safe and that the child is lovable, worthy, and deserving of unconditional love.
QIC Target Group
Both Target 1 and Target 2
QIC Adoption/Guardianship Relevance Levels
LEVEL 4: Foster Care
QIC level of Evidence
LEVEL 4: Promising Practice
Intervention Web Site/URL
- Beyond Consequences Institute: www.beyondconsequences.com
External Links (Registry/Other Catalog)
- Purveyor Information Sheet: Beyond-Consequences.pdf